This morning, as I was getting dressed for work, Critter Papa came dashing upstairs in hot pursuit of our cat, Madison. He shouted, “She’s eating something” as he ran by, and I followed them into the nursery, where Mads was hiding under the crib (of course). I could see a length of ribbon coming out of her mouth, and she was chewing on it, and it was disappearing. A rapid, mad few moments later, she had vaulted over Critter Papa and was headed downstairs. Of course, had I closed the nursery door, we might have had a chance at catching her.
As it was, she ended up under the couch, still chewing away, and we couldn’t get her. We finally got her cornered back upstairs in our bedroom, but by that time, she had already swallowed the ribbon. This is bad. A linear foreign body, such as string, tinsel or ribbon, can be very harmful or fatal if swallowed and if it moves into the intestines. We called the vet right away, and got an emergency appointment for this morning. Critter Papa was going to take her, while I went into the office.
Now, Madison is our cat that barfs a lot. There’s no great explanation for it, so we’re told, she just upchucks from time to time. All the way in to the office, and until the phone rang about an hour before her scheduled appointment, I prayed for cat barf. And finally, Critter Papa called to let me know that she had barfed up about 9 inches of ribbon. With that information, the vet told us that everything should be ok.
It’s my fault, is the thing. I left the ribbon where she could get to it, after I thought I was being sooooo great to remove the ribbon from presents we brought home after Sunday’s baby shower. But no, I didn’t put them in a safe place, and she got one. So, it turns out that I can’t sufficiently take care a of a fairly self-sufficient housepet. I’m supposed to be someone’s mother in the next couple of weeks? Good luck, kid. Hope you’re born under a lucky star!